[Avodah] Mitzvah Kiyumit

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Oct 27 12:43:19 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 01:12:04PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: The bracha is said when the issur is created, not a year later when it
: goes away.  It seems to me that it's the only birchas hamitzvah on a
: negative.  "Thank you Hashem that I now have one more way to serve You
: by abstaining from this new issur, though I look forward to when it will
: be lifted."

Not just "negative" in the colloquial sense, but a lav in the technical
sense.

This is what I was saying earlier about making matzos. Even though
ushmartem es hamatzos involves a number of mandatory activities, it's
a lav. I know of no birkhos hamitzvah on lavin.

But also... the berakhah mentions arayos, an issur created through
eirusin that has little to do with the chasan's situation and a heter
created through nissuin. I do not know how such a "group photo" could
qualify as a birkhas haimtzvah.

In any case, despite this, the Rambam (Ishus 3:23) discusses the
birkhas hamitzvah on qiddushin. Presumably this is the berakhah he
is discussing.

I just find the Rosh's position (Kesuvos 1:12, discussing 7b) far more
comprehensible.

Micha Berger             "Fortunate indeed, is the man who takes
micha at aishdas.org        exactly the right measure of himself,  and
http://www.aishdas.org   holds a just balance between what he can
Fax: (270) 514-1507      acquire and what he can use." - Peter Latham