[Avodah] Mitzvah Kiyumit

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Oct 27 10:20:56 PDT 2015

I once theorized (and I still suspect) that Birkas Eirusin is indeed a
birkas hamitzvah, but a most unusual one: It is a birkas hamitzvah said
upon a prohibition. It can do this, because it is said on one of the very
few (only?) prohibitions that one can take on voluntarily (short of nezirus
and such). Specifically, the issur on sexual relations between husband and
wife during the time between kiddushin and nisuin.

Please consider the things mentioned in this bracha:
- Hashem commanded us about arayos
- He forbade an arusa even to her husband
- He allows an arusa after chupa

I recall that someone once mentioned a Magen Avraham that says something
similar, that arayos is so important that Chazal wanted to make a bracha on
it, and this was the only place they could find. I'm pretty sure it was
somewhere in Orach Chayim in Hilchos Brachos. Anyone remember this?

Akiva Millet