[Avodah] Mitzvah Kiyumit

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Oct 27 14:42:17 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 08:33:42PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: C) Shiur: A certain minimum is required, but one can keep on doing it as a
: mitzvah kiyumis. (tzedaka [see YD 249:2], having children; I think that
: matzah and sukkah might be in this category on the first night after one
: has eaten his kezayis, but I'm not sure.)
:
: D) Truly voluntary: Doing things in the sukkah other than sleeping and
: seudas keva. I imagine there are some optional korbanos in this category,
: but I'm not knowledgable enough to be sure.

This example of sukkah may be a case of living in it more than a minimum
shiur, and thus belong in (C) not (D).

Qorban nedavah would have to be "truly voluntary".

Nezirus.

Most of nedarim, shevu'os, et al.

: I'd like to put marriage (for men) in the "change of situation" category. A
: single man has a chiyuv to get married. When his status changes to that of
: a married man, he no longer has the chiyuv, and although he is allowed to
: marry another, it is not a chiyuv, and I suspect it is not even a mitzvah
: kiyumis. One might argue that it is in the "mitzvos matirim" category, but
: I'm not sure. He's not allowed to have relations with that second woman
: unless he performs kiddushin and nisuin, but in this situation, are they
: actual mitzvos or mere procedures? In other words: If a man is already
: married, is it a mitzvah to marry another?

A matir doesn't have to be for a mitzvah. Eg someone shechting meat for
a weekday meal.

Micha Berger             Feeling grateful  to or appreciative of  someone
micha at aishdas.org        or something in your life actually attracts more
http://www.aishdas.org   of the things that you appreciate and value into
Fax: (270) 514-1507      your life.         - Christiane Northrup, M.D.