[Avodah] Cancel Simchas Torah!

Saul Guberman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 8 12:55:27 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Prof. Levine <llevine at stevens.edu> wrote:

> I merely sent out an email that I received.  It is not necessarily my
> opinion.
>
> That being said,  IMO  I think that much of what goes on in shuls on ST is
> not appropriate.  Drunkenness,  eating large quantities of food,
> silliness, etc.  are,  IMO,  not appropriate for ST.  Have a look at  A.
> Ya'ari's sefer  Toldos Chag Simchas Torah to see how ST was celebrated over
> the centuries.
> SNIP
> I see no need to cancel this kind of ST davening and hence ST can proceed
> in this fashion IMO.
>
> YL

A/A is for discussion.

What does running a Minyan with your decorum rules and your timing have to
do with cancelling the 7th hakafa to mourn a tragedy?  The premise of the
piece that you posted is to have some mourning /awareness of tragedy during
the Chag.   That is what I am commenting on.  We can have another
conversation about the halalchically appropriateness of the various
practices done in many shuls on Simchas Torah.

Saul