[Avodah] Cancel Simchas Torah!

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 8 12:42:04 PDT 2015

At 02:52 PM 10/8/2015, Saul Guberman wrote:
>Professor, what allows you, collectively, the
>community, to publicly mourn on the Chag?  Not
>having the 7th hakafa does not sound like an appropriate halachic response. Â

I merely sent out an email that I received.  It is not necessarily my opinion.

That being said,  IMO  I think that much of what
goes on in shuls on ST is not
appropriate.  Drunkenness,  eating large
quantities of food,  silliness,
etc.  are,  IMO,  not appropriate for ST.  Have a
look at  A. Ya'ari's sefer  Toldos Chag Simchas
Torah to see how ST was celebrated over the centuries.

I do not stay for Hakafos at night on ST.  There
were no Hakafos at night in
Germany,  and,  IMO,  the reading of the Torah at night is problematic.

On ST morning I ran the Hashkama Minyan at the YI
of Ave J in Flatbush.  We started at 7 am and
order and decorum were the themes of the
day.  The Hakafos were timed and took about 35
minutes total in time.  There was quiet during
the davening both for Shachris and Musaf.  The
kohanim were told that they would duchan during
Musaf, and there would be singing during the
duchening as on other Yomim Tovim. Since there is
no drinking during shachris, indeed, there is no
drinking during davening at all,  I saw no reason
for the Kohanim to duchan during
shachris.  (BTW,  Rabbi Arthur Scroll mentions in
his Machzor that some congregations duchan during
musaf on ST.  I consider our minyan "some congregation.")

We finished everything by 10:25 am.  At least 75
men and boys showed up for this davening.  (We cannot accommodate many more.)

I see no need to cancel this kind of ST davening
and hence ST can proceed in this fashion IMO.

YL