[Avodah] Footnote to the Shulchan Aruch

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Sep 6 19:22:37 PDT 2015

On 09/06/2015 07:58 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> Was excommunication banned under the Ottomans in 1563, when the SA was
> written, or in Venice 1565 when it was first published?

No.

> Whether or not the Jewish community put people in nidui despite such a law
> and this was all for the censor (as Zev presumes) or it actually wasn't
> practiced, clearly in some community such a law must have existed.
>
> However, the MBs Poland wasn't it

Yes, it absolutely was.

> Until it got closer to WWII, Jews had a lot of autonomy in Poland.

Poland?!  It was Russia, and the Jews had no autonomy.  No book could
be published without the censor's approval.  The censor's stamp on the
MB is dated 23-Dec-1882.

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in