[Avodah] Mesora only through Rashi

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jul 28 11:00:43 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 01:28:42PM -0400, Sholom Simon via Avodah wrote:
: There certainly is a lot of evidence that Ashkenzi minhagim com more
: from E"Y than Bavel.

Although experts, O Rabbi-PhDs, debate the issue. So what seems obvious
to you or me apparently isn't.

: But do we know of any chochomim that went from anywhere in the Middle
: East to Germany?

I already posted the mesorah from EY to Provence to Rabbeinu Gershom.

Jews really started reaching the Rhineland area at the invitation of
Charlemagne in the 9th cent CE, when he started the Holy Roman Empire.
They came from Provence (again) and Italy. Recall that most of the
captives from EY ended up in Rome, and you can understand how an
Israeli presence in Italy would have already been established.

Far more so than the Jews of the geonate -- who, as I mentioned, were
living outside the Roman Empire.

In mythic form, we have a story of a King Charles invited R' Moshe ben
Klonimus from Lucca to Mainz. In documentation form, Louis "the Pious",
C's son, left charters showing that he too invited Jewish merchants to
provide an economic backbone to his country, and mentions that he was
continuing his father's invitation.

Micha Berger             A person must be very patient
micha at aishdas.org        even with himself.
http://www.aishdas.org         - attributed to R' Nachman of Breslov
Fax: (270) 514-1507