[Avodah] Mesora only through Rashi

Sholom Simon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jul 28 10:28:42 PDT 2015

There certainly is a lot of evidence that Ashkenzi minhagim com more
from E"Y than Bavel.

But do we know of any chochomim that went from
anywhere in the Middle East to Germany?

I.e., ok, even if we accept
that either there was a third school, or it came from E"Y -- do we yet
know *how* it got to Northern Europe?

(Or perhaps the answers are in
articles that Haym Soloveitchik or David Berger wrote? (And, if so, does
anyone have any citations?)

-- Sholom

On 2015-07-27 17:59, Gil
Student wrote:

> Prof. Haym Soloveitchik has a theory of the origin of
the German mesorah. He calls it the third yeshiva of Bavel. Prof. David
Berger disagrees with the entire thesis, with arguments I find
convincing.

> However, that said, Prof. Soloveitchik makes extremely
good arguments against the conventional wisdom that Germany's tradition
comes from Palestine. His essay and response to Prof. Berger can be
found in volume 2 of his Collected Essays.