[Avodah] Mesora only through Rashi

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jul 28 10:38:17 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 11:153am EDT, R Saul Guberman wrote:
: RGS makes the claim that we would not have TSP & our Mesora without Rashi &
: the Tosafists.
: http://www.torahmusings.com/2015/07/who-was-greater-than-rambam/
: Our *Torah shebe'al peh* is based on Rashi and the Tosafists. If Jewish
: history had not included Maimonides, the Jewish world would have missed a
: great deal. Maimonides enriched our thinking and world view tremendously,
: but the *Torah shebe'al peh* would have survived without him. However,
: without Rashi and the Tosafists, there would not have been any *mesora*,
: any chain of tradition; we could not teach *Torah shebe'al peh* today.

Which is a different statement than the subject line.

I took RGS's expansion of RYBS's idea to mean that we got our mesorah
through all these parallel strands. However, the loss of a codifier who
stands alone, like the Rambam, is less critical to the survival of
mesorah than the parshanim. Rambam added a lot to our mesorah. But
Rashi and Tosafos made it possible for later generations to continue
understanding the gemara.

But one thing RGS loses is RYBS's context. RYBS was saying this in
shiur, in a room where talmidim bring a compact edition of the Rambam
with them for reference. It's a different thing to make this statement
while sitting in Brisk, when you may intentionally state a perspective
re-setting idea more strongly than in other settings.