[Avodah] Wine left out

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jul 13 12:14:07 PDT 2015

On 07/13/2015 02:10 PM, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
> In SA OH 272:1 the Mechabeir writes that one shouldn't use wine left out for kiddush (or any type of mitzvah adds the Aruch HaShulchan). The problem isn't gi'loi'im but the pasuk in Malachi 1:8 which teaches us not to use Grade B products for mitzvot.  The assumption is that wine left out goes bad (or gets worse) and therefore it can't be used for qiddush.
>
> My question is what does one do if you thinking allowing wine to breath for hours improves the taste? That's been my experience for years. If I open a bottle Friday evening, the wine definitely tastes better Saturday morning.

It depends what kind of wine.  Some wines definitely improve with a
few hours' breathing.  The criterion is "hakriveihu no lefechasecho";
*would* you serve this to an honoured guest who is used to drinking
quality wine?  If it's a wine that needs the time to aerate then you
certainly would, and in fact you wouldn't think of serving it to him
*without* that time.  OTOH this would preclude making kiddush at all
on Manishewitz, no matter how "fresh" it is.

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in