[Avodah] Rav Kook on Exercise

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Jul 18 13:49:55 PDT 2015

Rav Kook's opinion about exercise and sport had been brought up here
before. I quoted him as saying that physical activity helps the
tzaddikim in their avodah. In the class I go to on Orot, we discussed
the following piece by R Kook, which goes way further than that.  Keep
in mind that this was written before there was an IDF, so he isn't
talking about any  sort of physical protection.

Orot, Orot Hatechiya, 34:

Exercise, (which young Israel is getting involved in, in Eretz Yisrael,
to strengthen their bodies in order to be vigorous for the nation),
improves the spiritual strength of the greatest tzaddikim, those who
involve themselves  in "the unification of God's names" (my translation
of a phrase which I admit I don't get), and increases the transmission
of God's light in the world, because there is no revelation at all of
light without all components being present.

Turns out that (according to Rav Kook) not only does Talmud Torah
increase the merits to the army/state/people, but just having people
trying to be healthy, active, in shape, improves Talmud Torah, as long
as both sides are doing this for the nation.

Ben