[Avodah] zilzul

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 28 02:55:59 PDT 2015

On 05/28/2015 05:12 AM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:

> Perhaps the most famous example is lighting candles on leil yom tov.
> The wife of the Prisha

The MA's girsa in the Prisha is "mother", and the Machtzis Hashekel confirms
that this is not a typo in the MA.

> says one should say the bracha first and then
> light since lighting (preexisting flame) is allowed on tomtov.

> The MA calls her names

He does not!  He merely quotes the gemara Yoma 66b that "women only have
wisdom with the spindle".   Machtzis Hashekel says he is not even referring
to the Drisha's mother, but to most women, who will not understand the
distinction between Shabbos and Yomtov.

> and says this is an obvious "lo plug".

He doesn't just assert it, he cites clear sources that when a bracha must
sometimes be said after the deed, we apply lo plug and always say it after
the deed.  Thus, he says, the same thing must apply here.  (But see Dagul
Mervava, who distinguishes this case because the bracha is different, and
points out that if not for this distinction then the same should apply to
the Chanukah lights).

> My impression is that most women follow the wife of the prisha.

Really?  I'm surrprised.  I'm also surprised that you've surveyed enough women
to form an impression one way or the other.

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in