[Avodah] zilzul

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 28 02:12:53 PDT 2015

Micha wrote:
The Tur OC 315, Beiur Halakah 344 and elsewhere talk about not doing
things "shelo yavo'u lezalzel bo". Which clearly invokes a slippery
slope argument; but not that zilzul is itself a slippery slope, rather
than zilzul is such a problem, we avoid things that will slide us there. >>

My apologies but I am still completely confused when one applies zilzul and
when one says something is allowed as an exception to the rule. No purpose
in giving examples as there are myriads of exceptions that are allowed.

I have the same problem with "lo plug" sometimes something that would be
allowed is prohibited because of "lo plug" and sometimes we simply say it
is an exception.

Perhaps the most famous example is lighting candles on leil yom tov. The
wife of the Prisha says one should say the bracha first and then light
since lighting (preexisting flame) is allowed on tomtov. The MA calls her
names and says this is an obvious "lo plug".
My impression is that most women follow the wife of the prisha.

The question is what is the basis of the machloket either when do we say
"lo plug" and when do we apply "zilzul" and when do we ignore these
arguments

--
Eli Turkel