[Avodah] Re various shofar-blowing minhagim

Marty Bluke via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 28 01:07:24 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 07:14:36PM -0400, Michael Poppers via Avodah wrote:
: When I davened in KAJ/"Breuer's", the minhag was:
: -- 30 **dim'yushav**
: -- 10 **dim'umad**
: -- 60 sandwiched around post-Musaf "Aleinu" (30 just before, 30 after the
R' Micha Berger asked:
"How does that work? You have three points in Chazaras HaShatz in which to
blow. How do you do less than 10 **each**?"

Many Rishonim (quoted by the Beis Yosef in Siman 592) hold that during
Chazaras Hashatz in Musaf you blow Tashrat for malchiyos, Tashat for
zichronos and Tarat for shofaros.

In all of the Nusach Ashkenaz shuls that I have davened in they blew
30 before Musaf, 30 during chazaras hashatz and then 40 after Musaf
adding up to 100.