[Avodah] zilzul

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 28 07:33:39 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:12:53PM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: My apologies but I am still completely confused when one applies zilzul and
: when one says something is allowed as an exception to the rule. No purpose
: in giving examples as there are myriads of exceptions that are allowed.

I think the reverse: the norm is to allow valid loopholes to the din,
and it's only when the poseiq decides that the loophole would destroy
some significant part of the feel of Shabbos (whether qedushas Shabbos or
an entire melakhah) that we call it zilzul.

: Perhaps the most famous example is lighting candles on leil yom tov. The
: wife of the Prisha says one should say the bracha first and then light
: since lighting (preexisting flame) is allowed on tomtov. The MA calls her
: names and says this is an obvious "lo plug".
: My impression is that most women follow the wife of the prisha.

The AhS OC 263:3 does, citing the Perishah. Then he quotes the MA (s"q 12)
and says "and many were choliq on him... vekhein iqar ledina."