[Avodah] Another Chumera ends up Involving a Kula

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri May 22 08:55:41 PDT 2015

On 05/22/2015 10:59 AM, Chana Sassoon via Avodah wrote:
>> >However, your chashash brings up an interesting suggestion. if they
>> >are worried about all possible chashshos, then maybe they should worry
>> >about yours too, and they can easily solve it: let them go on mivtzo'im
>> >and find Jews who have not yet heard shofar at all, and blow for them
>> >according to these opinions. That way, not only will they have heard
>> >shofar according to all possible opinions, and not only will they have
>> >the zechus of those Jews having heard shofar according to at least
>> >one opinion (which is certainly kosher, as you correctly point out),
>> >but their "extra" tekios will be with a bracha!

> But aren't they then denying those Jews who have not yet heard shofar at all
> the chance to hear shofar according to the majority opinions by only blowing
> for them according to the minority opinions?

AFAIK everyone agrees that all these methods are kosher, so those Jews
are definitely yotzei the mitzvah.

> The principle on which
> somebody who has fulfilled their obligation can then fulfil the obligation
> of another is based on kol yisrael areivim zeh b'zeh.  But to what extent is
> that applicable in a situation in which that person would never, had the
> situation been reversed, have accepted the form of fulfilment they are
> offering the other.  Ie since the person who is blowing the shofar refused
> to have these alternative ways of blowing as the fundamental method of
> fulfilling their own mitzvah, is it really areivus to then foist that form
> of fulfilment on others?

They're not foisting anything. The people they're blowing for would
otherwise not hear shofar at all, so they're clearly better off hearing
even some obscure form of it, so long as they're yotzei.

On 05/21/2015 09:55 PM, Kenneth Miller via Avodah wrote:
> R' Zev, could you describe for us how the first 100 are blown, and when the extra 30 come in? And if anyone else wants to add to the list, please do so!

I'm talking about 30 kolos blown at the very end of davening, just
before going home, and well after all 100 kolos have already been heard
(30 meyushav, 30 in each musaf, and 10 in kaddish). Their purpose is
le'arvev es hasoton. And I've never heard it suggested that there is
any chashash issur. Thus my conclusion that shofar-blowing is allowed on
RH for *any* valid purpose, and the only blowing that remains forbidden
as usual on Yomtov, is when it is truly "bechinam".

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name