[Avodah] Another Chumera ends up Involving a Kula

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 21 13:25:27 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 02:46:27PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: On 05/21/2015 11:36 AM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
:> In OC 196:1, the Rama mentions the minhag of blowing 30 qolos at the
:> end of RH mussaf. "Ule'achar sheyatze'u bazeh, shuv ein litqua od
:> bechinam."

:> (Although a qatan, even higia lechinuch, may.)
:
: Not bechinam; for practice, so that he may one day blow for real.

That's not what the Rama says, though. He says "you're allowed to
tell him to blow (HaMagid, Hil' Shofar, pereq 2) and it's
mutar to for him to blow all day (Or Zarua dRH)."

The mishnah says "any me'qvim es hatinoqos militqoa, aval mis'asqim
imahem ad sheyilmedu", which implies they are not stopped even
after yilmedu.

The gemara ad loc (RH 33a-b) says that a qatan higia' lechinukh is
encouraged to blow to learn, but any child is not prevented from blowing.

So I think  the Rama is paralleling the gemara, and not saying the
seifa is only for chinukh, or for a child who doesn't need to be
stopped because he isn't ready yet.

The AhS's wording is even further from your deduction.

:> So, if in your shul, people stay late to hear other varations of the
:> qolos -- Rashi, Brisker, shevarim-ter'uah beneshimah achas or 2 neshimos,
:> etc... -- they are actually being meiqil as well.

: No, they're not.  None of these tekios are "bechinam", any more than the
: last 30 kolos "le`arvev es hasatan", or a katan blowing for practice.

They aren't to fulfill minhag. Hey, I didn't outright assur the practice,
I said it relies on being meiqil, such as calling wanting to be chosheish
for some minority opinion shitah a need to blow.

In general, I'm increasingly uncomfortable with this concept of being
machmir to be chosheish for ... It seems to reflect a lack of emunah
in kelalei pesaq and the authority of pesaq.

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Malchus: What is glorious about
Fax: (270) 514-1507               unity-how does it draw out one's soul?