[Avodah] Another Chumera ends up Involving a Kula

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 21 13:31:24 PDT 2015

On 05/21/2015 04:25 PM, Micha Berger wrote:

>:> So, if in your shul, people stay late to hear other varations of the
>:> qolos -- Rashi, Brisker, shevarim-ter'uah beneshimah achas or 2 neshimos,
>:> etc... -- they are actually being meiqil as well.

>: No, they're not.  None of these tekios are "bechinam", any more than the
>: last 30 kolos "le`arvev es hasatan", or a katan blowing for practice.

> They aren't to fulfill minhag. Hey, I didn't outright assur the practice,
> I said it relies on being meiqil, such as calling wanting to be chosheish
> for some minority opinion shitah a need to blow.

That's not a kulah, because the issur is davka when it's bechinam, and
so long as there's a reason it's not chinam. Their wish to hear shofar
the way this rishon or that one wanted it heard is at least as good a
reason as our "le`arvev es hasoton", or giving women a "nachas ruach".

[Email #2. -micha]