[Avodah] Meron live

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 7 14:31:50 PDT 2015

On 05/07/2015 01:32 PM, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:

> Indeed, this is where the New Religion is coming from. Years ago
> someone asked Rav S. Schwab, ZT"L, about certain things that certain
> chassidishe women do when they are pregnant and if they were valid.
> His forceful reply was, "My mother never knew about such things, my
> grandmother never knew about such things, and my great grandmother
> never knew about such things. These people are making up a religion!!!!!"

With all due respect to R Schwab's great-grandmother, there are more things
in Yiddishkeit than were dreamt of in her philosophy.  My great-grandmother
did know about such things, and I'm sure her tzidkus and wisdom was no less
than hers.  And following the Ari's teachings is the very opposite of
making up a religion.

> I am not comfortable with people making up a religion, particularly
> since RSRH says definitively the Judaism is not a religion,  to the
> New Religion is not Judaism by definition.

You're the one assigning to it the word "religion", and then, in what can
only be called an act of verbal ju-jitsu, you pull out a definition of that
word which (you claim) does not fit Yiddishkeit, and declare that anything
called a "religion" must not be Yiddishkeit.    I might as well say that
since my aunt is a secretary, a secretary is a kind of desk, and Jesus was
a carpenter, therefore Jesus made my aunt!

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in