[Avodah] Meron live

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 7 10:53:11 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 01:32:05PM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: >Both of which are minhagim, not halakhah. Also, the minhag is not to
: >get one's hair cut, rather than cutting someone else's hair, which would
: >mean you're worried about whether it applies to 3 year olds.

: Indeed,  I think one should be.

Maqor? Since when do we expect 3 yr olds to conform to minhag?

: >Minhagim evolve, that's what they do. If the Peri Eitz Chaim records the
: >Ari's position that it's apprpriate to not just refrain from mourning
: >on Lag baOmer but to celebrate it, there is sufficient motive -- in
: >the eyes of many. Of course, that "many" wouldn't include the Yekke
: >qehilos. And I had a choice of bonfires at yeshivos gedolos to go to
: >last night, had I wanted to. Litta joining in is defintely new.
:
: Indeed,  this is where the New Religion is coming from....

The PEC is older than RSRH. If you want to label any particular change
as a "New Religion", you dwell in a glass house.

: The MB points out that the minhag in Vilna was to start the
: restrictions of Sefirah on the first day of Rosh Chodesh Iyar and
: then they end in the morning of the first of the 3 days before
: Shavuous.  I took a haircut shortly before Rosh Chodesh Iyar.  There
: were no crowds to contend with and I had no waiting.

And the Radbaz predates the SA, never mind the MB.

: This has worked and continues to work for me...

Good. What I'm objecting to is your insistnce in telling
others that what works for them is "New Religion".

: PS.  My wife has asked more than once, " How can they  observe the
: aveilus restrictions of Sefirah during Pesach when it is a Yom Tov?"
: My reply is,  "I do not know."

You can't get married on Pesach, not even ch"m either. Nor get a haircut.
So you're asking about parties with live music.

Micha Berger             Today is the 33rd day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Hod: LAG B'OMER - What is total
Fax: (270) 514-1507               submission to truth, and what results?