[Avodah] Meron live

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 7 10:32:05 PDT 2015

At 01:07 PM 5/7/2015, Micha Berger wrote:
>On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 10:01:44AM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
>: I have to admit that I simply do not understand the goings on shown
>: which I looked at last night, and am now looking at a bit.
>
>: The Sefardim hold one is not allowed to take a haircut the entire
>: 33rd day...
>: Ashkenazim hold "micktzas ha Yom K'kulo," when it comes to the last
>: day of aveilus for someone sitting shiva...
>
>Both of which are minhagim, not halakhah. Also, the minhag is not to
>get one's hair cut, rather than cutting someone else's hair, which would
>mean you're worried about whether it applies to 3 year olds.

Indeed,  I think one should be.

Truth be told my mother,  A"H,  told me that once a child is at least
one year old and can say a few words,  then his hair gets cut.  This
is what I did with my sons,  and I am sure it is an old minhag.

>Minhagim evolve, that's what they do. If the Peri Eitz Chaim records the
>Ari's position that it's apprpriate to not just refrain from mourning
>on Lag baOmer but to celebrate it, there is sufficient motive -- in
>the eyes of many. Of course, that "many" wouldn't include the Yekke
>qehilos. And I had a choice of bonfires at yeshivos gedolos to go to
>last night, had I wanted to. Litta joining in is defintely new.

Indeed,  this is where the New Religion is coming from.  Years ago
someone asked Rav S. Schwab,  ZT"L,  about certain things that
certain chassidishe women do when they are pregnant and if they were
valid.  His forceful reply was,  "My mother never knew about such
things,  my grandmother never knew about such things,  and my great
grandmother never knew about such things.  These people are making up
a religion!!!!!"

I am not comfortable with people making up a religion, particularly
since RSRH says definitively the Judaism is not a religion,  to the
New Religion is not Judaism by definition.

>The Radbaz, R' David b Shelomo ibn Zimra was among the gerushei Sefarad,
>who ended up in Tzefas in 1513 and eventually end up in Egypt where
>he was RY (he taught the Shitah Mequbetzes, R' Betzalel Ashkenazi)
>and ABD. But the version of the minhag he recorded would not pose the
>question -- observe the first "half" of the omer, and then a haircut a
>week before Shavuos isn't a problem.

The MB points out that the minhag in Vilna was to start the
restrictions of Sefirah on the first day of Rosh Chodesh Iyar and
then they end in the morning of the first of the 3 days before
Shavuous.  I took a haircut shortly before Rosh Chodesh Iyar.  There
were no crowds to contend with and I had no waiting.

This morning I trimmed my mustache and the hair that grows under my
neck below my beard at shortly after sunrise.

I will take a haircut on 3 or 4 Sivan. Again, there will be no crowds
to contend with.

This has worked and continues to work for me.  YL

PS.  My wife has asked more than once, " How can they  observe the
aveilus restrictions of Sefirah during Pesach when it is a Yom
Tov?"  My reply is,  "I do not know."