[Avodah] A married sister

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 4 11:01:05 PDT 2015

From: Kenneth Miller via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

In this morning's parsha, we learn that  a kohen may m'tamei himself for
his unmarried sister, but not for one who has  been married. I used to think
that this was because upon marriage, the sister  leaves the family that she
grew up in, and is no longer part of that family, and  becomes part of her
husband's family. Thus, she is no longer part of her  brother's family.

But what about her father? [snip]
So, in very simple  terms, here's my question: If a Bas Kohen is married
and then dies, why is it  that her father may attend the funeral, but her
brother may not?

Akiva  Miller

I don't know why the bond between brother and sister seems to be lessened
when the sister marries, but we do have other evidence that the bond between
 father and daughter is never severed:  If a man has no sons, only
daughters, his daughters inherit his property -- even if they are married.   The
fact that they are married does not annul the fact that they  are still his
daughters.

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..