[Avodah] A married sister

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 4 04:47:38 PDT 2015

In this morning's parsha, we learn that a kohen may m'tamei himself for his unmarried sister, but not for one who has been married. I used to think that this was because upon marriage, the sister leaves the family that she grew up in, and is no longer part of that family, and becomes part of her husband's family. Thus, she is no longer part of her brother's family.

But what about her father? According to the above logic, her father may not be m'tamei for her either. And in fact, she *has* left her father's family in the sense that if her husband is not a kohen, then she has been disallowed terumah ever since the wedding. Yet the halacha is that her father *may* be m'tamei for her, despite that change in status.

So, in very simple terms, here's my question: If a Bas Kohen is married and then dies, why is it that her father may attend the funeral, but her brother may not?

Akiva Miller