[Avodah] Spouses with Conflicting Customs

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 4 09:45:03 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 11:47:38AM +0000, RAM wrote on the thread
"A married sister":
: In this morning's parsha, we learn that a kohen may m'tamei himself
: for his unmarried sister, but not for one who has been married. I
: used to think that this was because upon marriage, the sister leaves
: the family that she grew up in, and is no longer part of that family,
: and becomes part of her husband's family...

But Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 02:12:59AM +0000, RAM wrote on this subject:
> I once heard an interesting argument against Rav Moshe's logic on
> this point. He is viewing the wife as the one who is moving to a new
> location, but we have an explicit pasuk that takes the opposite view:
> Bereshis 2:24 - "Therefore, a man will desert his father and his mother,
> and stick to his wife." (The woman may of may not leave her parents,
> but the man explicitly does.)

> Granted that there are other arguments for the wife taking the husband's
> minhagim - terumah is the first that comes to my mind. But if Rav Moshe's
> main argument is Minhag Hamakom, I wonder how he would have defended it
> against this pasuk.

Anyone else see one answering the other?

micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Hod: When does capitulation
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  result in holding back from others?