[Avodah] tefillat haderech

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 15 08:12:08 PDT 2015

From: Eli Turkel via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

>>The sefer Piskei Teshuvot (siman  110-2) has a discussion whether one is
required to say tefillat haderech in  modern times. He concludes that one
who does not say it on major roads has  someone to rely on but someone who
also says it has the reward of a tefilla  even though we no longer have
"listin" and wild animals on the roads. Instead  we have a car accidents.
Therefore one should also say tefillat haderech on  railroads and planes. He
claims that on small side roads that everyone  paskens you need to say
tefillat haderech<<

--
Eli  Turkel

Saying tefillas haderech "on major roads" -- does that mean even within one
 city, not just when traveling between cities?

"On small side roads everyone paskens you need to say tefillas  haderech"?
What does that mean?  Every time I get in the car to go to  the grocery
store in my own neighborhood?  Or was the word "don't"  inadvertently omitted
from that sentence ("you don't need to say tefillat  haderech")?

I was driving someone to the cemetery for a levaya, we were on  the highway
doing 60 and all of a sudden it started to rain, but I mean a mabul,  a
hard, driving, blinding rain.  I couldn't see at all in front of  me.  Of
course I slowed down, as did everyone else, but it was still very  frightening
and certainly I couldn't just stop in the middle of the  highway.  My
passenger, a BT, became very agitated and said, "I only know  one perek of Tehillim
by heart so I am going to say that."  Then she  recited Shir Hamaalos (from
benching) out loud.  The rain stopped  immediately!  A few miles further
down the road, there was another sudden  blinding outburst and she said Shir
Hamaalos again.  Again the rain  immediately stopped.  She was like a reverse
Choni Hamaagel!  I really  think her emunah peshuta saved the day!

But to veer back into Avodah territory -- would it have been appropriate to
 say Tefillas Haderech at that time?  With shem umalchus?  (I  assume you
can always say it without shem umalchus.)

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..