[Avodah] tefillat haderech

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 28 09:41:10 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 04:29:11PM +0300, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
: The world has changed a lot since the time of chazal especially related to
: travel...
:
: 1. Most travel is no longer considered unsafe. When I get in my car every
: morning to drive to work I don't think twice about it
: 2. The distinction between in the city and out of the city is no longer
: true...

: Recently, I heard a short shiur on tefilas haderech and was happy to hear
: that RSZA seems to say a very similar idea to RYBS.

In contrast, the qorban todah and birkhas hagomel depend not only on
surviving a dangerous situation but also on reliving one of the four
sorts of yeshu'os tehillim ascribes to yetzi'as Mitzrayim: crossing a
desert, the sea, bring freed from jail or recovering from illness.

So, if we deem flying over the Great Lakes or the Mediterranean (to pick
shorter flights over mayim she'ein lahem sof) to be too safe to warrant
tefillas haderekh, would one end up in a situation that calls for no
tefillas haderekh beforehand, but benching gomel afterward?

micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Netzach: When does domination or
Fax: (270) 514-1507        taking control result in balance and harmony?