[Avodah] Of Gebrokts and Kitniyos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Apr 13 14:28:57 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 04:47:45AM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: Does not the SA say that a person who has trouble chewing matzah can
: soak it in water and then eat it?  If so,  then I fail to see why
: eating gebrokts should be a problem for anyone.
:

The SA lived in the wrong qehillah for the minhag to be relevant.
He would allow you to eat qitniyos too.

And if we accept the SA haRav's explanation of gebrochts over the MB's,
the Rama lived before we counted kneading time toward the 18 min,
and gebrochts wasn't necessary yet. And since according to the SAhR's
teshuvah, the minhag caught on after the Besh"t, meaning during the
lifetime of its author and his readers, I am inclined to believe his
version of the timing over someone who is reconstructing older history.

: Also,  were not the matzos that were used in the time of the SA
: thicker than ours?

Again, MB vs the SAhR as to whether that's at issue.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Gevurah: When is strict justice
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            most appropriate?