[Avodah] Of Gebrokts and Kitniyos

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 3 12:22:05 PDT 2015

On 04/03/2015 06:57 AM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
> He also paskens (for EY) that one can cook kitniyot on the 7th day of
> Pesach for use on the shabbat right afterwards (ef this year).

Yes, I'm surprised that anyone disagrees.  It seems so obviously correct.
I know that many people don't do so, and believe it to be forbidden, but
I have never yet heard an argument for why it should be so.

> This is because some sefardi could come over for a visit and so the kitniyot
>  are not mukza .

The main issue would surely not be muktzeh, but cooking on yomtov.
But the answer is the same: the hypothetical horde of hungry guests
who might descend on one ten minutes before sunset on Friday, and
for whom one is, in principle, cooking, might very well be sefardim.

>  The same applies to gebrochs even though it is the 7th day of
>  Pesach.

Gebrochts, of course, applies in Chu"l as well (since almost everyone
who doesn't eat it on the first 7 days does eat it on the last day).
And lich'ora the above heter is not applicable.  Kitniyos are gebrochts
are not similar.  Ashkenazim don't avoid kitniyos because of a concern
that it might be chametz; they readily agree that there is no such concern,
and that for Sefardim it is heter gamur.  Thus there is no reason at all
why an ashkenazi should not cook kitniyos for a sefardi, any more than
there is a reason why a zar who is tahor should not cook terumah for a kohen.

But those who avoid gebrochts do so because of an (admittedly remote) concern
that it might be chametz.  If so, then they should be equally concerned not
to give it to someone else, even one who isn't worried about it, and thus
shouldn't be able to claim on Friday that they are cooking for hypothetical
guests who eat it.

Lepoel this question comes up every time there is such a kevius, and there
doesn't seem to be one psak about it.  Perhaps it comes down to the different
reasons people give for why it's OK on the last day.   If one holds that the
reason is "shelo lehotzi la'az" on those who eat gebrochts all Pesach, then
it makes sense that on the first 7 days one should also not be "motzi la'az",
and thus should be willing to cook gebrochts for those who eat it.  Thus on
Friday the 7th one can claim to be cooking for such guests.   But if one holds
that the reason for not eating gebrochts for 7 days and then eating it on the
8th is as a symbolic gesture towards the kabbalistic idea that on the 8th day
one ought to eat chametz, so for 7 days we treat gebrochts *as if* it were
chametz, and then eat it on the 8th day, then it would seem to follow that
on the 7th day one may not cook it.

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in