[Avodah] Of Gebrokts and Kitniyos

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 3 03:57:43 PDT 2015

> But let's not get buried under the reports of RMF and R' Tuvia Goldstein,
> and forget that we have conflict in reports about whether RSZA would
> allow someone to start eating gebrochts after hataras nedarim.

> So, while rumor might say he did, we have a first-hand report from R
> Yisrael Herczeg that tells us to ignore the grapevine >>

In Halichos Shlomo (p90) it states explicitly that one can change his
custom and eat gebrochs after hatart nedarim. However, this should be done
only if there is a good reason (tzorach chashuv) for the change. Thus, for
a chatan he would allow the hatarat nedarim if keeping bebrochs would cause
family difficulties.

 RSZA paskened that the wife follows the customs of the husband both for
kula and chumra(without hatart nedarim). He explicitly states that this is
different than one who moves to another location where he does need hatarat
nedarim since a woman knows that she will eventually marry and might change
her minhag. The husband has the right to relinguish his rights. This is
prevalant with regard to the nuscah of davening.

A Baal Teshuva should prferably keep the customs of his "original"
community where the family belonged. However, if he is now connected to
some rabbi or community he can choose to keep their customs instead.

He also paskens (for EY) that one can cook kitniyot on the 7th day of
Pesach for use on the shabbat right afterwards (ef this year). This is
because some sefardi could come over for a visit and so the kitniyot are
not mukza . The same applies to gebrochs even though it is the 7th day of
Pesach.

RSZA himself ate gebrochs though he would not eat anything that fell on the
floor.
He did not use potato starch or anything that rsembled a chametz cake

On a different topic he allowed drinking regular water eg from the kinneret
since one can't taste at all the taste of any possible chametz,

[Email #2]

>> So, while rumor might say he did, we have a first-hand report from R
>> Yisrael Herczeg that tells us to ignore the grapevine.

> Perhaps he changed his mind!  It has happened before.

In this case he didnt change his mind. He said that it depended on the
circumstances. In theory one could do hatarat nedarim and eat Gebrochs but
he advocated not using this heter unless there was a good reason to change
the custom. Obviously for Yisrael Herczeg he didn't feel there was
sufficient justification.

--
Eli Turkel