[Avodah] Of Gebrokts and Kitniyos

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 1 06:54:19 PDT 2015

R' Yitzchok Levine wrote:

> Does not the SA say that a person who has trouble chewing
> matzah can soak it in water and then eat it?  If so, then
> I fail to see why eating gebrokts should be a problem for
> anyone.

The answer will depend on what you mean by "SA".

If "SA" refers specifically to the author of the Shulchan Aruch, Rav Yosef Karo, then the answer is that he is not the last word in halacha. There are other authorities, and someone who follows the others could have a problem even with something that the SA allows.

If "SA" refers to the Shulchan Aruch in general, then I do not understand your question, since the problem of gebrokts *IS* mentioned by authorities other than Rav Karo. If I'm not mistaken, the Shaarei Teshuva (which is in the printed editions of Mishne Brurah) is a good example.

Akiva Miller