[Avodah] Of Gebrokts and Kitniyos

Chana Luntz via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Apr 26 15:58:31 PDT 2015

Sorry, been away, and am therefore very behind in Avodah

On 04/03/2015 06:57 AM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
>> He also paskens (for EY) that one can cook kitniyot on the 7th day of
>> Pesach for use on the shabbat right afterwards (ef this year).

And RZS replied:

>Yes, I'm surprised that anyone disagrees.  It seems so obviously correct.
>I know that many people don't do so, and believe it to be forbidden,
>but I have never yet heard an argument for why it should be so.

Well the arguments to prohibit can be found in Rav Poelim chelek 3 Orech
Chaim siman 30 - he brings two:  one based on the prohibition of a person
who is fasting on yom tov to cook for others - as per the Rema in Shulchan
Aruch Orech Chaim siman 527 si'if 20 as explained by the Magen Avraham there
and an additional reason added by the Magen Avraham there in si'if katan 22.
The Ben Ish Chai in Rav Poelim was discussing whether a person whose custom
(in Bagdad) was not to eat rice on Pesach could cook rice for those who do.
He rejected the first rationale provided by the Magen Avraham) as being
applicable to this case, but accepted the second reason as applicable
(although he also cites a number of achronim who accept the first reason as
a reason to prohibit)- and therefore held that those who had the custom of
treating rice as assur on pesach could not cook rice for those who had the
custom of eating rice on yom tov of Pesach for so long as they had this
custom of treating rice as assur (although he held that those who had this
custom not to eat rice in Bagdad could do hatarat nedarim and be able to
eat, and hence cook, rice on pesach so as to solve the problem).

>> This is because some sefardi could come over for a visit and so the
>> kitniyot  are not mukza .

>The main issue would surely not be muktzeh, but cooking on yomtov.
>But the answer is the same: the hypothetical horde of hungry guests who
>might descend on one ten minutes before sunset on Friday, and for whom
>one is, in principle, cooking, might very well be sefardim.

Yes, but according to the position of the Rav Poelim, Askenazim can never,
when cooking for Sephardim on pesach, cook them dishes that they, the
Ashkenazim, cannot eat, hence hoeil does not apply.  The same ought
presumably to apply to gebrochts according to the Ben Ish Chai - if you
can't eat it on shvii shel pesach, you can't cook it for others, including
hungry guests, and so cannot effectively cook it for shabbas based on hoeil,
your shabbas food would have to consist of something else you could eat on
shvii shel pesach.

>Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you

Regards
Chana