[Avodah] Tachanun During Nissan

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 17 13:47:49 PDT 2015

The following is from today's Halacha for
Today  http://halachafortodaycom.blogspot.com/

Erev Shabbos Kodesh Parashas Shemini (Parashiyos Tazria- Metzorah in
Eretz Yisroel); Mevorchim Chodesh Iyar; Rosh Chodesh will be on
Sunday and Monday

28 Nisan , 5775
April 17, 2015

CURRENT TOPIC:
REVIEW OF
HALACHOS OF SEFIRAS HA'OMER

Halachos for Erev Shabbos Kodesh

1) The thirty third day of the Omer, the 18th of Iyar,  is referred
to as "Lag B'Omer" and the early sources already treat this day as a
special day, as a kind of Yom Tov. (See Sefer Hamanhig page 91a and
Meiri to Yevamos 62b)

2) The Tur (Siman 493:3) states that the Talmidim of Rav Akiva
stopped dying on Lag B'Omer.

However, the Talmud (Yevamos 62b) clearly states that they died from
Pesach all the way until Shavuos. If that is so, what then is the
significance of the 33rd day of the Omer and why does the Tur write
that they stopped dying on that day?

The Maharil writes, to explain this apparent discrepancy between the
Talmud and the words of the Tur,  that they died on all of the days
between Pesach and Shavuos except on the days that we do not say
Tachanun. These days are: 7 days of Pesach, 2 days of Rosh Chodesh
Iyar, Rosh Chodesh Sivan, the 7 Shabbasos in sefira; 17 days in all.

Therefore they only died on 32 of the 49 days. As a commemoration of
this, we designate the "33rd" day as the day that the dying stopped
and we celebrate that day, but not that it totally stopped on Lag B'Omer.

Note that according to the Maharil  tachanun was originally said
during Nissan except for the days indicated!  I wonder when saying
Tachanun during Nissan ended. YL