[Avodah] tefillat haderech

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 14 07:42:18 PDT 2015

I guess I was a little too succinct in my last post.
The major problem is that many consider tefillat haderech as a tefillah and
not as a bracha. Thus while one can be motze other for a bracha one cannot
do it for a tefillah.

Hence, R Nebenzahl paskens that all those  that know how to say by
themselves should do so
R C Kanevsky says it is preferable for each person to say by themself
R Tuvia Goldstein says that one cannot be yotzeh someone else and claims
that he convinced RMF of that
R Belsky repeats that it is a tefillah and not a bracha and so it is
appropriate (min ha-raui) that everyone says it for themself.
R Aviner says that it is "rachamim" and therefore it is preferable that
each one requests for themselves however bidieved one can be motzi others

The sefer Piskei Teshuvot (siman 110-2) has a discussion whether one is
required to say tefillat haderech in modern times. He concludes that one
who does not say it on major roads has someone to rely on but someone who
also says it has the reward of a tefilla even though we no longer have
"listin" and wild animals on the roads. Instead we have a car accidents.
Therefore one should also say tefillat haderech on railroads and planes. He
claims that on small side roads that everyone paskens you need to say
tefillat haderech

--
Eli Turkel