[Avodah] The Kosher Switch: A Response from the Tzomet Institute’s Rabbi Yisrael Rosen

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 14 07:12:34 PDT 2015

 From http://tinyurl.com/ptcfckt

The rabbinic world and blogosophere (see, for
example, here) has been abuzz about the propriety
of the Kosher Switch, which its producers claim
allows one to halakhically turn on and off lights
on shabbat.  Attached here is the Hebrew response
of Rabbi Yisrael Rosen, the prominent engineer
who heads the Tzomet Institute, which includes
(signed) clarifications of the positions of Rabbi
Avigdor Nevenzahl and Rabbi Yehoshua
Neuwirth.  It is was sent on Tzomet stationery to
Rabbi David Mescheloff, and is reprinted here with permission.

Below is a rough English translation of the first
page, which does not include some of the halakhic
argumentation provided on the 2nd page of the
original Hebrew.  For all scholarly and halakhic
purposes, and purposes of citation, only the
original Hebrew letter should be seen as the
authoritative writing of Rabbi Rosen.

<Snip>

D. And here is the main part of my remarks:
Yesterday I went to my teacher and rabbi HaGaon
Rabbi Yehoshua Neuwirth, Shlita, and I asked him
whether he permitted to use this switch to
activate electricity on Shabbat for the purposes
of Oneg Shabbat, etc
 He was really shocked and
said he never permitted that.  When I showed him
the endorsement letter, he added in his
handwriting: “Only for medicine and security”
(see photo in attached Hebrew article). Rabbi
Avigdor Nebenzahl Shlita, who signed a similar
letter, also told me yesterday that he does not
recall ever signing anything like that, and
expressed the opinion that there is no place for
this and was puzzled about the whole thing.

I suppose that whoever managed to get the
signatures of important rabbis ‘sold’ them an
invention that is a kind of a complex Gramma used
for the purpose of medicine or security, and
succeeded in skipping this condition when they signed.

E. With regard to the claim, written in their
accompanying halachic responsum, that it is
permitted to use this Gramma switch to minimize
the prohibition of those who willfully the
violate the Shabbat, we have never heard of such
rabbis who permit this. I am sure that those who
‘agreed’ did not see this argument, and this is
an argument that should not be stated.

See the above URL for more.  YL