[Avodah] Could a New Gadget Change Shabbat Observance - Forever

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 14 19:48:10 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:59:18AM -0400, Micha Berger wrote:
: On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 09:44:04AM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: : From http://tinyurl.com/njr5j7a
:
: :> List of leading rabbis endorse 'Kosherswitch' to allow lights on
: :> Shabbat. High-voltage project could send a current through Jewish
: :> world.

RGS just posted
http://www.torahmusings.com/2015/04/will-the-kosher-switch-bring-mashiach-2
which also links to his earlier
http://www.torahmusings.com/2011/09/in-defense-of-the-kosher-switch

: As you can read on Zomet's site, R Neuwirth permits the wheelchair only
: because the issue is basic mobility. KosherSwitch.com shows you that that
: RYN signed on a "me too" to R' Pinchas Zabihi's haskamah. I have a notion
: that once things are clarified, the truth is more somewhere in between.

Actually, RGS determined that R Neuwirth didn't give his approval of
the Kosher Switch outide of special circumstances.

RGS writes:
> The Kosher Switch adds uncertainty to the Gerama Switch. Every time the
> device is supposed to send a light impulse, it calculates a random number
> below 100 and only sends the impulse if the number passes a threshold
> (usually over 50).

However, there is a random element to Machon Zomet's switch too.

Again, I do not see anything in the patent that makes this switch any
less a simple case of gerama than Machon Zomet's switch. (In fact,
R' Rosen of Zomet checked the posqim cited on KosherSwitch.com
*because* he saw no reason why they would allow the Kosher Switch
for general use and not Zomet's Grama Switch.)

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?