[Avodah] tefillat haderech

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 14 16:12:56 PDT 2015

R' Eli Turkel wrote:

> The major problem is that many consider tefillat haderech as a
> tefillah and not as a bracha. Thus while one can be motze other
> for a bracha one cannot do it for a tefillah.

I am very confused. Many poskim recommend point out that Tefilas Haderech does not begin with "Baruch", so they recommend saying it after another bracha (such as Asher Yatzar, or a Bracha Acharona on food), so as to make it into a Bracha Hasemucha L'chvertah. But if Tefilas Haderech is not a bracha to begin with, then I do not see the advantage of such a procedure.

According to "Halachically Speaking", vol 1 pg 76, the poskim who recommend the above procedure includes: Magen Avraham 110:13, Machatzis Hashekel 110:13, Be'er Hetev 110:10, Shulchan Aruch Harav 110:6, Mishneh Berurah 110:28, Aruch Hashulchan 110:14, Kaf Hachaim 110:51 -- but NOT the Chazon Ish (Orchos Rabenu 1:61).

In addition, I recall learning of certain situations where it is recommended that one should say tefilas haderech, but omitting the chasima at the end. But if it's not a bracha at all even WITH the chasima, then what is gained by leaving it out?

I suspect that I do not appreciate or understand the meaning of "as a tefillah and not as a bracha".

Akiva Miller