[Avodah] carrying an ID card on shabbat

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sat Mar 9 23:02:54 PST 2013

From: Micha Berger _micha at aishdas.org_ (mailto:micha at aishdas.org)

> I don't  believe that would change anything; it adds nothing to the
> clothing so  the fact that it's sewn on doesn't stop it from being
> a burden. Just as  one can't just pin a key to ones clothing and
> call it a button, but must  either make it genuinely decorative (and
> gender-appropriate) or an  integral part of a garment, one would have
> to do the same with the ID  card...[--RZS]

>>So you remove the manufacturer's and shaatnez  inspector's labels before
the first time you wear a garment on Shabbos?  Unlike a key pin, this
is permanently attached to the garment and thus batul  to it.
According to SSK pg 215 RSZA says this is why extra buttons  sewn
onto a garment can be worn as well. (I am told RMF and RSYE  hold
similarly.)<<

Micha  Berger
micha at aishdas.org

If a needle and thread are actually pushed through the actual ID card and
the card is sewn onto a garment the same way a label or a button is sewn on,
you  might have a point.  But I think an ID card may be hard plastic and
would  have to be sewn in by being enclosed in some kind of holder or pocket
or frame,  so that the pocket or holder is what is sewn onto the garment
while the actual  card is readily removable from this pocket or frame.  So
wearing a garment  with an ID sewn in this way would not really be comparable to
wearing a garment  with a label or a spare button sewn in.

The Dutch Jewish community should make an outcry against a law that
requires chillul Shabbos and the whole Jewish world should make an outcry about
this.  And I agree with RZS that until the law is changed, the official,
publicly stated position of the Dutch community should be that they will not
carry on Shabbos outside an eruv and that the community as a whole will pay
the  fines of any individual who is arrested for refusing to be mechallel
Shabbos.

If there is an eruv somewhere but not everyone uses the eruv, then  that
becomes a bit stickier, but the community should still reject this law
altogether as incompatible with the principle of religious freedom, held so  dear
by western democracies.

--Toby  Katz