[Avodah] carrying an ID card on shabbat

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 11 16:11:38 PDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 03:02:54AM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: If a needle and thread are actually pushed through the actual ID card and
: the card is sewn onto a garment the same way a label or a button is sewn on,
: you  might have a point.  But I think an ID card may be hard plastic and
: would  have to be sewn in by being enclosed in some kind of holder or pocket
: or frame,  so that the pocket or holder is what is sewn onto the garment
: while the actual  card is readily removable from this pocket or frame...

You're right. I didn't think through the logistics of removing the card
after Shabbos, moving it from outfit to outfit, etc...

So my case is now hypothetical. I still think the other parties on this
thread (pun intended) deny that there are very solid grounds to have
permitted the hypothetical.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l