[Avodah] carrying an ID card on shabbat

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sat Mar 9 16:32:01 PST 2013

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 08:18:06PM +0000, Kenneth Miller wrote:
: A shaatnez label enhances the garment, as evidence of its permissibility
: to be worn. A label which shows the name of the manufacturer, or the
: laundry instructions, will be seen either as similarly enhancing the
: garment, or as totally irrelevant, negligible, and batul. Either way,
: mimah nafshach, it won't render the garment to be a problem with meleches
: hotzaah.

What does an extra button sown into the inside of a garment do? It's
neither batel-able nor enhance the garment (until removed for use). It's
just an easy way not to lose it before you need it. RSZA says it's the
permanent attachment. I don't see any of this other sevara in the SSK.

I could faster argue the ID card enhances the garment because it enables
me to wear it in more places without risking a fine.

Gut Voch!