[Avodah] carrying an ID card on shabbat

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sat Mar 9 16:25:25 PST 2013

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 03:49:10PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
>                                        First I made the argument you deal
> with, that the ID card can't be batel to the garment (unlike a Jew-patch
> which is, because it's just a bit of fabric).

To which I asked about the shaatnez checker's plumba. Or extra buttons
sown onto the garment.

Or, for that matter, why cloth is different. AFAIK, a manufacturer's
label or one from a shaatnez checker sans plumba is only batel because
it was made an integral part of it with stitching. Unlike something
pinned on, like a non-ornamental key.

>                                                Second, I wrote that even
> if one turns it into a wearable beged of its own, e.g. by making it an
> integral part of a belt, there's still the problem of "shema yishlof".
> RMB cited the case of gloves as one where me'ikar hadin we pasken that
> there's no gezera of "shema yishlof", and it's only a chumra to attach
> them to the coat.  He wants to say that the same applies to the ID card.

Well, since the SA says that mei'iqar hadin "shema yishlof" doesn't
apply to gloves, yes. The MB says that because we don't have too
many reshuyos harabbim deOraisa today, even he doesn't advise being
mchmir.

And Shemiras Shabbos Kehilchasa says the same about a non-ornamental
watch, explicitly stating that an ornamental one (which you would
wear even if it weren't working) is under the original gezeirza, since
it's a tachshit.

Thus, there is reason to hold that the gezeira only includes those
situations that the gozerim included, no more.

Gut Voch!

Micha Berger             It's never too late
micha at aishdas.org        to become the person
http://www.aishdas.org   you might have been.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      - George Eliot