[Avodah] carrying an ID card on shabbat

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Mar 7 14:41:14 PST 2013

On 7/03/2013 5:13 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> So you remove the manufacturer's and shaatnez inspector's labels before
> the first time you wear a garment on Shabbos? Unlike a key pin, this
> is permanently attached to the garment and thus batul to it.
> According to SSK pg 215 RSZA says this is why extra buttons sown
> onto a garment can be worn as well. (I am told RMF and RSYE hold
> similarly.)

Those are batel to the garment.  The permanent attachment is irrelevant;
they'd be just as batel if they weren't permanently attached.  They have
no independent metzius, they're just part of the garment.

>> A key belt might work, but then there's another problem: we have a
>> whole chapter of mishna dealing with actual garments that may not
>> be worn because the wearer might remove them in the street...

> This was discussed widely WRT gloves. The gezeirah was about jewelry,
> and few say it includes anything but. (This ties to the discussion of
> whether qitniyos includes more than the original list of legumes.)

Where are you getting this from?  The discussion about gloves is over
the metzius: is it likely that you will remove them, or not?  There's no
doubt that if you are likely to remove them you can't wear them.

>  The gezeirah was about jewelry

No, it wasn't.  It includes shoes, which are certainly not jewellery!
One may not go out wearing a single shoe, for fear that one will start
to feel embarrassed and remove it.  One may not go out with a shoe that's
too big, for fear that it will fall off and one will carry it.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to