[Avodah] carrying an ID card on shabbat

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 7 14:13:51 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 06:43:18PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> I don't believe that would change anything; it adds nothing to the
> clothing so the fact that it's sewn on doesn't stop it from being
> a burden. Just as one can't just pin a key to ones clothing and
> call it a button, but must either make it genuinely decorative (and
> gender-appropriate) or an integral part of a garment, one would have
> to do the same with the ID card...

So you remove the manufacturer's and shaatnez inspector's labels before
the first time you wear a garment on Shabbos? Unlike a key pin, this
is permanently attached to the garment and thus batul to it.
According to SSK pg 215 RSZA says this is why extra buttons sown
onto a garment can be worn as well. (I am told RMF and RSYE hold
similarly.)

> A key belt might work, but then there's another problem: we have a
> whole chapter of mishna dealing with actual garments that may not
> be worn because the wearer might remove them in the street...

This was discussed widely WRT gloves. The gezeirah was about jewelry,
and few say it includes anything but. (This ties to the discussion of
whether qitniyos includes more than the original list of legumes.)

> I just want to point out that heterim that were given in the past, in
> other countries and times, were usually given because of sh'as had'chak.

I knew there was a she'as hadechaq element, which is why I reiterated
both "Refuseniks" and "under the Soviets" to underline the context.

Micha Berger             "And you shall love H' your G-d with your whole
micha at aishdas.org        heart, your entire soul, and all you own."
http://www.aishdas.org   Love is not two who look at each other,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      It is two who look in the same direction.