[Avodah] Haman and Amaleik

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Feb 25 20:34:01 PST 2013

On 25/02/2013 9:57 PM, Poppers, Michael wrote:
> In Avodah V31n30, RZS wrote:
>> IMHO, the chiyuv is to wipe out the memory of Amalek, and that has already been done.  There is no identifiable Amalek any more.  I don't think the fact (if it is one) that there are physical descendants still alive matters. There's no such nation any more; nobody remembers them except, ironically, from the Torah. <
> Yet we're still bidden "zachor...al tishkach" (and, presumably, "keis-Kah" has not yet been made whole, and "milchamah laH' baAmaleiq" still is occurring "midor dor")! which implies that Amaleiq is still present among us in some form (e.g. in the guise of those "b'chal-dor vador" who are "omdim aleinu l'chaloseinu"), no?

I don't think it really has that implication.  If Shaul or Yoav had done
their jobs properly, would that have been enough to make "keis kah" complete?
I don't think that's all it would have taken.  It's a necessary but insufficient
condition.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to