[Avodah] Haman and Amaleik

Poppers, Michael Michael.Poppers at kayescholer.com
Mon Feb 25 18:57:05 PST 2013

In Avodah V31n30, RZS wrote:
> IMHO, the chiyuv is to wipe out the memory of Amalek, and that has already been done.  There is no identifiable Amalek any more.  I don't think the fact (if it is one) that there are physical descendants still alive matters. There's no such nation any more; nobody remembers them except, ironically, from the Torah. <
Yet we're still bidden "zachor...al tishkach" (and, presumably, "keis-Kah" has not yet been made whole, and "milchamah laH' baAmaleiq" still is occurring "midor dor")! which implies that Amaleiq is still present among us in some form (e.g. in the guise of those "b'chal-dor vador" who are "omdim aleinu l'chaloseinu"), no?

All the best from
-- Michael Poppers via BB pager