[Avodah] CONTEMPORARY KITCHEN ISSUES PART I

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Tue Jan 15 15:10:14 PST 2013

On 15/01/2013 1:36 PM, Ben Waxman wrote:
> I don't know why this a contemporary issue. Jews have had non-Jewish
> servants for generations. Someone was coming in at random interval
> to check on them?

Yes.  It was extremely uncommon for the women of the household to be out,
so there was always someone either in the kitchen or near enough to come
in at any moment.
-
Zev Sero
I would imagine this is a question for historians of a particular bent, but I note that we have at least anecdotal evidence (e.g.  the chofetz chaim's wife ran a store, assumedly outside of the home)?
KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.