[Avodah] CONTEMPORARY KITCHEN ISSUES PART I

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Jan 15 20:00:28 PST 2013

On 15/01/2013 6:10 PM, Rich, Joel wrote:
> Zev Sero

>> Yes.  It was extremely uncommon for the women of the household to be out,
>> so there was always someone either in the kitchen or near enough to come
>> in at any moment.

> I would imagine this is a question for historians of a particular bent,
> but I note that we have at least anecdotal evidence (e.g.  the chofetz
> chaim's wife ran a store, assumedly outside of the home)?

1. I don't know whether that's a safe assumption.  Actually, if it was a
shop rather than a market stall, then I think it far more likely that it
was in the family home, as most shops used to be until very recently (and
many still are).  Owning two properties would surely make them rich.

2. In any case it was very unusual.  The kesuba arrangement, of the husband
supporting the wife, was the norm.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to