[Avodah] Why Lie When Truth Can Also Achieve Peace

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 2 06:30:59 PST 2013

[A 5 email exchange follows. I took the liberty of deleting much of
the quoted text from the latter 4 emails to save space, since they are
being included one after the other in quick succession and in the same
digest. -micha]

On Jan 2, 2013 2:40 PM, "Zev Sero" <zev at sero.name> wrote:
> On 2/01/2013 1:07 AM, Arie Folger wrote:
>> That's your statement. Can you please back this up with Chazal? Or at
>> least a Rishon?

> What exactly are you challenging?  What part of what I wrote do you not
> already know to be true?   Hamefursamos einam tzrichim ra'ayah; are you
> just trying to assign me some make-work?!

No, I question your definition of ruach hakodesh, and of nevua. A navi is
not a soothsayer or prognosticator. The job of a navi is not to predict
tomorrow's lottery drawing, and hence he has no idea. His job, instead, is
to lead the people to serve G"d and to that end, the greatest among them
get occasional messages from G"d to transmit to the people or to be guided
in his mission of leading.

Peirush: Yaakov would only know what he needed to know, which is based on
what G"d wanted him to know. Mit oder ohne ruach hakodesh.

You hold otherwise, so I challenge you to produce a source to that effect
that is at least three hundred years old.

--
mit freundlichen Gren,
with kind regards,