[Avodah] Tzaar Baalei Chayim

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Aug 12 08:19:05 PDT 2012

On 12/08/2012 7:44 AM, cantorwolberg at cox.net wrote:
>> I don't know who "we" is, since I was never taught this.

> So since YOU were never taught this, therefore, it can't be so?

Since I was never taught this, it cannot be true that "we" were taught
it, if that "we" refers to all of us.  And if it doesn't mean all of us,
but all of some other group that includes you but not me, then how can
I possibly know whom it does refer to?

> Is it not possible there are m'forshim who taught that the purpose
> of shechitah is to cause a painless death to the animal? Are the
> musmachim from whom I was taught, all wrong??

No, it is not possible, and yes, if these unnamed "musmachim" taught
you that then they were wrong.

>> Indeed I don't think it was even known that shechitah was painless until
>> the modern era, when it became possible to attach scanners to animals'
>> skulls and detect their brain activity.

> So assuming it wasn't even known that shechitah was painless, you don't
> think HaShem knew? Do you think that was the ONLY thing that wasn't
> known by man? So therefore, what does it prove?

How is it relevant what Hashem knew?  If people didn't know that it was
so, then how could they have known or guessed that this was the reason?

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion