[Avodah] Tzaar Baalei Chayim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Aug 12 10:41:51 PDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 11:19:05AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> Is it not possible there are m'forshim who taught that the purpose
>> of shechitah is to cause a painless death to the animal? Are the
>> musmachim from whom I was taught, all wrong??
>
> No, it is not possible, and yes, if these unnamed "musmachim" taught
> you that then they were wrong.

How can you say this after already being pointed to a Ramban who does
connect shechitah to minimizing pain?

Or is this another case of you being medayeiq in lashon and never bothering
to explain to the rest of us what it is you're referring to? In this case,
are you objecting to CRW's "painless" as opposed to "minimizing pain"?

The following mar'eh meqomos give minimizing pain as at least one of the
reasons for shechitah:
    Tanchuma Shemini 7
    Moreh Nevuchim 3:26,48
    Chinukh 451
    Rmaban Bereishis 1:29 (already cited)
    Shu"t Chasam Sofer, OC 54

The Peri Megadim, end of Hilkhos Shechitah excludes the minimization of pain
as a reason for shechitah.

Micha Berger             The Maharal of Prague created a golem, and
micha at aishdas.org        this was a great wonder. But it is much more
http://www.aishdas.org   wonderful to transform a corporeal person into a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "mensch"!     -Rav Yisrael Salanter