[Avodah] If you have an electronic water meter, can you turn on your faucet on Shabbos?

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 02:26:48 PDT 2012

R' Micha Berger wrote:
"I would be happier if PVWC put the meter on a timer and gave me my water
for free on Shabbos. Therefore, helping them bill me is lo nicha lei."

And I would be happier if when I cut off the chicken's head it wouldn't
die, but it will. The same thing applies here, the water company is billing
me for usage and when I turn on the faucet the meter will record my usage
on Shabbos. When I come to turn on the water faucet on Shabbos, we can't
deal with hypotheticals but the facts as they are right now and right now I
want the meter to record my usage so I will know how much to pay.